Could my patient benefit from cochlear implants?
Only 5% of US adults who could benefit from cochlear implants get treatment
Cochlear implants are an effective treatment option for patients with moderate to profound hearing loss. New advancements in implant technology enable cochlear implants to reach more patients than ever before with treatment, yet most patients who could benefit from cochlear implants do not seek treatment. If treatment is not recommended by an audiologist or other provider, patients may be unaware of their candidacy and options.
*This provides a recommendation only of when an adult may be referred for a cochlear implant evaluation, but does not guarantee candidacy based on indications.
1. Zwolan TA, Schvartz-Leyzac KC, Pleasant T. Development of a 60/60 guideline for referring adults for a traditional Cochlear implant candidacy evaluation. Otol Neurotol 2020; 4t:895-900
Your patients may benefit if they:
When to consider cochlear implant evaluation for adults.
If your patient meets ANY of the criteria below, consider referring them for a full cochlear implant evaluation
Pure tone average greater than or equal to 60dB¹ in the better ear (0.5, 1k, 2 kHz)
Unaided Word Recognition Score less than or equal to 60%¹ in the better ear
Does your patient experience ANY of the following:
- Struggle to hear on the phone
- Have difficulty understanding unfamiliar speakers
- Withdraw from social events
- Often need others to repeat themselves